- About Us
- Project Controls Manager
If you have experience working for Mechanical or Plumbing contractors or are currently working as an MEP Estimator for a commercial construction manager and would like to advance your career in Preconstruction, we would like to talk to you.
The Mechanical Estimator will work closely with OUR preconstruction team, taking the lead in producing estimates and forecasting costs for mechanical, plumbing, fire protection and HVAC systems in a variety of construction applications. Construction Markets include Corporate, Healthcare, Education, Cultural / Non-Profit, Senior Living, Hospitality and Retail, Governmental and Industrial / Manufacturing.
The Mechanical/Plumbing/HVAC Estimator or Senior Estimator will be working with a team of 7 construction professionals in our Preconstruction Department, averaging 18 years of experience.
skills & Responsibilities
It is unlikely that any single individual will possess all of the credentials and skills we describe below, which represent the company’s vision for this position. We encourage you to apply if you possess some of these credentials or skills and the desire to develop your career in these directions should you join our firm.
- Review and analyze plans and specifications
- Maintain a thorough understanding of how the following systems are designed and operate:
- VAV and Constant Volume Systems
- Boiler/Hydronic Systems
- Radiant Floor Heating/Cooling Systems
- Radiant Panel Heating/Cooling Systems
- Chilled Beam Systems
- VRF Systems
- Geothermal Systems
- DOAS Systems including lab pressure control systems
- Perform quantity takeoff and pricing of all system components, including ductwork, piping, insulation, equipment, fixtures and controls inclusive of labor, material and subcontractor overhead and profit.
- Use On-Screen Takeoff and Office Suite products to prepare estimates.
- Develop and maintain relationships with vendors and subcontractors to validate and confirm equipment costs and unit costs.
- Assist the design team with value added suggestions and pricing exercises.
- Support the Project Managers with detailed scopes of work for bidding and post bid scope reviews with subcontractors.
- Review subcontractor bids and submittals for conformance with the specifications.
- Communicate estimate and project details to the clients, architects, engineers and project stakeholders.
- Work and cooperate within a team environment is required.
- Act as a self-starter with good time management skills is essential in this position.
- Occasionally assist the construction team with MEP coordination and field conflict resolutions.
- Possess knowledge of General Trades Estimating is a plus.
- Possess knowledge of Electrical Estimating is a plus.
- Possess knowledge of BIM/Revit is a plus.
The Performance Criteria for this position include, but are not limited to:
Any combination of education and experience that has helped you qualify for this position is acceptable. If you feel you have the skills and qualities for this position, we would like to explore you joining our team.
A degree along with the appropriate experience is acceptable, but an estimator with field installation experience and a working knowledge of Mechanical and Plumbing systems is desired.
The Albert M. Higley Co. begins 80% of our Preconstruction Services at the Schematic level of design. Preferred candidates will possess a working knowledge of MEP systems and should be able to quantify all the designed components of the systems. They should also be able to “fill in” the gaps reasonably and include costs for the components of the systems that are not fully designed.
The Mechanical/Plumbing/HVAC Estimator or Senior Estimator will be helping owners validate and manage their budget thru the design process with the objective of determining a responsible subcontractor bid day cost.
Submit your résumé to be considered for this position.